To help you fill your grocery bag with healthy food items that do not leave a hole in your pocket, here are the tips to eat healthy without running low on your budget.
Buying healthy food may not be expensive. In fact there are ways in which you can eat healthy and make a lot of savings because of it. Moreover, diet plans that implement such economical healthy eating tips help you save enough to buy fitness equipments that keep you fit.
Tips to buy healthy when on a budget
- Jot down the grocery list – Before starting to shop, plan your weekly diet. It is one of the essential elements of eating healthy successfully.
- No eating out, cooking is in – If you are used to eating out from time to time, needless to say that should be a big no when on a budget. Learn to prepare good tasting meals at home. Although you might be tempted to visit that fast food joint instead of the much more expensive restaurant, it is not a healthy option. For the cost of fast food, you can make a very healthy preparation at home.
- Try bulk shopping – Buying bulk can cost you little compared to buying small packs of the same food item. A very good example of this is yoghurt. If you buy seven small packs of yoghurt for a week, the small packs would cost you more compared to one big pack with the same quantity.
- Eat seasonal foods – The food store or grocery that you are visiting would have a lot of seasonal foods as they are available in plenty. They are cheaper as well as provide more nutrition. Any reason not to have them?
- Visit the farmers’ market – The farmers’ market can be found close to your city if you search for it. The farmers sell fruits, vegetables, seasonings and other food items. These are invariably fresher, hence healthier, and cheaper than what you can get in your city.
One of the ways to eat healthy while being within a budget is to try various combinations of the vegan diet. The following is a good way of making a good healthy meal that is economical:
- Slice some sweet potatoes, onions, carrots, yams and potatoes into chunks that are easy to bit into. A healthy combo-veggie food is ready.
- Put some olive oil and a few shakes of rosemary, thyme, oregano and black pepper. You might want to have an Italian seasoning.
- Add many garlic cloves that have been peeled in the pan. You should smash them before peeling to release more flavour.
- Place this preparation in a casserole dish or a pan covered with foil. Bake it at 400 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes.
- You will find a golden brown, soft colour to the dish. Sprinkle some honey on it and a little soy sauce
- When everything's golden brown and soft, drizzle some honey and sprinkle a little soy sauce on top.
Read more articles on Healthy Eating
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.