How to avoid diabesity: Avoiding diabesity involves following some tips related to lifestyle modifications related to diet and exercise. Other than that, you are also required to avoid odd sleeping patterns.
Diabesity is a condition characterised by prevalence of type 2 diabetes, obesity, hyperglycaemia, insulin resistance and related complications. This disease has fast assumed epidemic proportions in the world, especially in Europe as it accounts for 8 per cent of total expenditure related to health. The problem in the treatment of the disease is that the pharmacological and dieting interventions are not effective in treating this condition.
According to general physician, Dr. Monica Goel, it is important to take steps for avoiding the occurrence of diabesity. This is because not only the condition being a health problem in itself, but it can also lead to other diseases such as arthritis, sleep apnea, osteoporosis, arthritis or a vascular disease.
Dr. Goel has recommended some healthy eating habits and exercises as ways to avoid diabesity.
Healthy eating habits recommended for preventing diabesity:
- Monitor your fat intake and make sure it is not more than 30 per cent of the total calories consumed. Moreover, the saturated fats should be below seven per cent.
- 55-60 per cent of calories should come from carbohydrates but the carbs should be accompanied by 30-40 grams of fibre.
- Have home cooked food to work as you can manage it in this case.
- Have wheat flour instead of white flour.
- Avoid all meats to be able to manage your condition, particularly red meat.
- Do not have processed food as they contain preservatives as well as trans fatty acid.
- Encourage your kids to have more of homemade snacks and fruits rather than junk food.
- Avoid alcohol and aerated drinks altogether. They can harm even if taken occasionally.
Exercising with a positive frame of mind with good exposure to sunlight is also very effective in preventing the onset of diabesity.
Current lifestyle– Major contributor to the prevalence of diabesity
With the most abnormal lifestyles now being considered as part and parcel of professional aptitude, it puts increasing stress on an individual’s health which is accentuated by poor nutrition. Being busy with work from 7 am to 9 pm, living all by yourself and having pizzas and burgers for lunch and dinner takes a heavy toll on your health. Not to mention the worst work-related lifestyle change – working during night while sleeping during daytime. This leads to diabesity.
Thus, it is important that you take special care of your health if you depend on a job which requires you to change the natural rhythm of sleeping hours. The more tips of preventing diabesity you follow, the better your chances of avoiding diabesity and its complications, if you happen to be a patient already.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.