Hormonal Changes during Pregnancy: The tumultous hormonal changes during pregnancy lead to manifold physical and emotional changes in the expectant mother. Click here to learn a few of them.
Pregnancy hormones trigger various changes in the body. Listed below are the changes caused by hormonal surge during the three trimesters of pregnancy. [Read: Pregnancy Symptoms by Trimester]
The rising levels of estrogen and progesterone can lead to:
- nausea, Heartburn or constipation due to delayed emptying of stomach
- tender or sore breasts
- fatigue, Drowsiness or Dizziness
- cravings [Read: Crazy Food Cravings of Pregnant Celebrities]
- aversion to fried foods and coffee
- mood Swings
- and pigmentation or darkening of skin.
Soaring levels of estrogen and progesterone leads to:
- enlarged milk glands and increased breast size
- reddish Purple streaks over breasts, abdomen and thighs
- nose bleeds due to increased blood circulation
- bleeding gums
- hormones cause vasodilatation leading to fall in blood pressure and dizziness and
- decreased flow of urine might lead to bladder infections.
Hormonal surge during the last phase of pregnancy can cause:
- backache because of relaxed joints
- swollen legs & feet because of pressure on veins
- numbness or tingling in hands due to pressure on nerves
- puffy face due to water retention
- varicose veins become prominent which may lead to haemorrhoids and
- hormones can worsen restless leg syndrome.
If one is well informed about these changes during pregnancy, it surely helps to decrease the anxiety and fear. Remedy is available for everything to make the journey to motherhood more enjoyable and meaningful.
The contributor, Dr. Loveleena Nadir is Sr. Consultant, Obs & Gynae at Fortis La Femme.
Read more articles on Pregnancy.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.