Acne is a very common skin problem which is caused due to several factors including hormonal imbalance, poor diet, chemical exposure, etc. While there are medications available to treat them, here are some handful tips to control them.
Pimple is painful. If you have acne or frequently get them, you’re not alone! The scientific name for what we call pimples or acne is Acne Vulgaris. More often than not, people aged between 11 and 30 get acne. Hormonal acne, on the other hand, is caused due to hormonal imbalance in the body. While this can be treated with proper medication, improving diet, and bettering lifestyle habits can effectively lessen acne. Let us give you a brief overview of the causes and possible ways to treat them.
What is Hormonal Acne or Acne Vulgaris?
Commonly known as acne, this is a skin problem that is characterized by inflammation, redness, rashes, blackheads, whiteheads, and sometimes deep lesions. These generally arise on the skin areas where sebaceous glands are active including the face, neck, back, chest, etc. These are classified into three categories as per their severity:
1.Mild Acne: There are a couple of non-inflammatory lesions.
2.Moderate Acne: You’d see inflammatory lesions along with mild scarring and occasional nodules.
3.Severe Acne: A lot of inflammatory lesions, nodules and scarring which aren’t getting better even after derma treatment. People going through severe acne problems are likely to suffer mental distress due to their unsightly appearance.
Causes of Hormonal Acne
1.Hormonal fluctuation: These are called hormonal acne as they are primarily caused due to hormonal imbalance in the body. This increases sebum production in the skin which leads to the emergence of acne.
2.Follicular hyperkeratinization: This is a technical term for abnormal shedding of dead skin cells on the opening pores.
3.Poor diet: Eating unhealthy, oily or carbonated foods are said to trigger acne formation in the skin. Oily foods are therefore strictly prohibited for people with acne.
4.Unhealthy lifestyle: Exposure to dirt and pollution for long hours do trigger acne. The dust & dirt gets accumulated on the skin and cause bacterial infection thereby provoking acne.
Acne-friendly Foods and Beverages
- Fruits: oranges, berries, apples, grapefruit, grapes, cherries, bananas, pears, peaches, etc.
- Vegetables: Sweet potato, broccoli, kale, spinach, peppers, cauliflower, zucchini, carrots, butternut squash, beets, etc.
- Whole grains and starchy vegetables: quinoa, brown rice, farro, oats, buckwheat, etc.
- Legumes: lentils, chickpeas, kidney beans, black beans, etc.
- Healthy fats: olive oil, whole eggs, nuts, seeds, avocados, coconut oil, nut butter, etc.
- High-quality proteins: tofu, eggs, salmon, chicken, shellfish, turkey, etc.
- Dairy alternatives(Plant-based): coconut yogurt, almond milk, cashew milk, coconut milk, etc.
- Anti-inflammatory herbs and spices: cayenne, turmeric, black pepper, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, parsley, etc.
- Unsweetened beverages: sparkling water, water, lemon water, green tea, hibiscus tea, etc.
Also read: Causes Of Dry Skin Around The Mouth
Avoid These Foods and Beverages
- Dairy products: milk, yogurt, cheese, etc.
- Sweets: Cake, candy, table sugar, cookies, etc.
- Sugary beverages: soda, sweetened sports drinks, energy drinks, etc.
- Oily & Processed foods: chips, fast foods, white bread, frozen meals, sugary cereals, meal bars, microwave meals, etc.
Bringing considerate diet and lifestyle changes can actually better the condition of your acne. We hope this guide helps!
Read more on Skin Care
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.