All of us have seen those films where either the hero or the villain gets punched in the eye in the middle of the fight and gets a bruised black eye. Black eye occurs when something hits a person’s face or head. A bruise around the eye is caused due to the pool of blood under the skin around the eye area. This blood pool under the skin around the eye area can be caused due to various reasons like the formation of a clot due to hitting your head or face into something hard or when something hits these regions with a strong force.
Black eye can actually be serious at times but in cases where it is caused due to a minor injury, it can be treated through some home remedies.
Home Remedies to get rid of Black Eye
We know that black eye can be painful and could actually ruin your whole look, well you need not to worry about it as we have got 5 easy home remedies for you to get rid of the pain, swelling and the bruise caused due to the black eye in no time.
Answer to many beauty problems and a healing treatment that we all have been using for ages, ice can actually do wonders when used in the right way. By helping in relieving pain and swelling, this cold compress technique can work as a first aid remedy to heal the black eye and is best to be used within the first 24 to 48 hours. By slowing down the blood flow in the under eye area by narrowing down the blood vessels which will eventually reduce the blood pool under the skin.
How to use?
- Take an ice cube and wrap it in a cotton handkerchief.
- Do not press it on the spot but keep on moving it a little on the affected area in the circular motion.
- Do this for about 10 minutes and repeat twice a day.
- Make sure that you do not apply the cold compress for more than 10 minutes or it can damage your skin.
Also Read: 5 Tips To Prevent Computer Vision Syndrome
2. Vitamin C
By healing your black eye vitamin c can actually help you to see. An easily available over the counter solution, taking vitamin c in the topical or oral form is proven to help with swelling, clots and bruises. Not just this but vitamin c can help you to break down the clot and heal your bruises. Moreover, including foods that are rich in vitamin c can help to avoid the formation of clots in the blood vessels.
How to use?
The vitamin C can be used in 2 ways in order to treat the black, where the first method being the topical treatment and the second one in the form of oral tablets.
Vitamin C topical treatment
- Take topical vitamin C oil and put 2 drops of it on the tip of your index finger and middle finger.
- Lie down and massage the oil on the effective area with light hands.
- Make sure that you do not apply access pressure on the bruise and prevent the vitamin c oil from entering your eyes as it might cause irritation.
- Pop a vitamin C tablet once a day for around 3 days starting from the day of your injury.
- If vitamin C tablets are not available you can eat orange as an alternative as it is one of the best sources of vitamin c.
3. Hot Compress
From period cramps to back ache, hot compress is a method which is proven to be helpful to cure almost all kinds of pain. Similarly this easy, quick and super cheap home remedy can also be used to treat the black eye by reducing the pain and its appearance.
This is a remedy that should be used once the swelling is gone as it helps in healing the wound and reducing the pain and increases the blood flow in the affected area. However helpful the hot compress method would be but always make sure that you follow it safely and wisely as our eyes and the skin area around it is highly sensitive as compared to the other parts of your body.
How to use?
- Take a bowl of lukewarm water (make sure that the water is bearable and is not too hot.)
- Take a small towel and dip it into the bowl.
- Wring out the towel and make sure that water is not dripping out from it.
- Fold the towel into a square and lightly apply it onto the affected area.
- Keep it on for about 15 minutes and make sure that you do not press it hard.
4. Gentle massage
Sometimes a little massage is all you need to relieve pain, reduce swelling and to treat the bruise. A method that can support healing by promoting blood flow in the affected area, you can massage your eye once the swelling is gone. Before trying out this remedy make sure that the bruised area is not swollen anymore and discontinue this practice if you feel some kind of pain or discomfort.
How to perform?
- Take 2-3 drops of sweet almond oil on the tips of your index finger and middle finger.
- Apply It on the affected area and gently massage it through.
- Do this for 5-7 minutes and make sure that you are not being too harsh but are applying gentle strokes.
Also Read: Try These 5 Tips To Prevent Dark Circles
5. Elevate the head
This simple sounding remedy would not make you feel very comfortable especially while sleeping at night but can surely make your under eye area and the bruise feel a lot better.
A trick that can be followed to prevent the accumulation of fluid in the under eye area, elevating the person’s head can help in reducing the swelling, relieving the pain and in healing the bruise.
How to perform?
- Stack 2 pillows, one on top of the other and lie down by placing your head on the pillows in such a way that your head is lifted up.
- As an alternative to this method you can also make the person sleep on a recliner or a chair.
You can follow these natural remedies as a quick fix to your black eye at the ease of your home. Although all the remedies stated above are natural but should be performed with utmost care as your eyes and the area around your eyes is very sensitive. Make sure that you take a patch test with the ingredients used such as topical vitamin C oil and sweet almond oil to ensure that you are not allergic to these and do not let any of the ingredients used enter your eyes.
Read more articles in Home Remedies
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.