Nail fungus; be it on your toenails or your fingernails is an unpleasant business to have to deal with. Even with treatment, it can occur on and off. Often, you can take care of a fungal nail infection at home.
Toe nails often get infected with fungus giving rise to a condition known as Paranoychia or Onchomycosis. Prolonged dampness or moisture in the toe nails - and poor hygienic conditions - are the main causative factors for this fungal infection. some effective home remedies for toe-nail fungus will be discussed here.
Several studies conducted on toe-nail fungus infections have concluded that it is highly contagious and can be contracted in swimming pools, public gyms and by sharing footwear. Damp and moist conditions are ideal for the growth of fungus in toe nails, which causes discomfort to the sufferer. The fungus affects the cuticle of the toe nail resulting in discoloration of the nails. Sometimes a foul odour coming from the toe nails indicatesa fungal infection.
According to Dr. R.P. Singh, Rockland Hospital, New Delhi: “Acute Paranoychia may be caused due to excessive sweating of the feet because of covered footwear and diabetes mellitus. This requires serious treatment as the infection may lead to an ingrown toe, necessitating surgical interventions.” Some useful home remedies for toe-nail fungus are:
- You can apply tea tree oil directly or a mixture of thyme, olive oil and tea tree oil on the affected toe nails.
- Soak the affected toe nails in Listerine mouthwash and vinegar since it works as a good antiseptic which destroys the fungal infection. In case of severe infections, soak a cotton pad with the above mixture and wrap the infected toe for some time. This is one of the simplest toe nail fungus home remedies.Application of a mixture of apple cider vinegar and lemon juice on the affected toes.
- Some cases of Paranoychia can cause scaling of the nails and the fungal growth continues within the skin layers. It is necessary to exfoliate the affected area so most of the fungal growth can be removed. Exfoliation can be done by scrubbing the affected toe with a paste of rice flour and a few teaspoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Toe nail fungus home remedies also include treatment with a mixture of Lavender and tea tree oil. Dab the mixture with a cotton ball and apply on the affected areas 2-3 times a day. Lavender oil helps in reducing the infection and Tea tree oil is a natural antibiotic.
- Try over-the-counter antifungal nail creams and ointments. Several products are available. If you notice white markings on the surface of the nail, file them off, soak your nails in water, dry them, and apply the medicated cream or lotion.
- If you have athlete's foot as well as nail fungus, treat the athlete's foot with medicated powders or sprays and keep your feet clean and dry.
- Apply Vicks VapoRub. Many people have had success with Vicks VapoRub. One study of 18 patients showed that 56 percent had partial improvement of signs and symptoms, and 17 percent saw no improvement. To use this method, apply a small amount of the product daily with a cotton swab.
- Trim and thin the nails. This helps reduce pain by reducing pressure on the nails. Also, if you do this before applying an antifungal, the drug can reach deeper layers of the nail.
Maintaining clean hygienic conditions is the most important step to prevent and cure toe nail fungus infections. Before seeking medical treatment, these home remedies for toe-nail fungus should be tried.
Read more articles on Home Remedies for Skin.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.