What do you think? Is it a bad option to check the blood glucose level through a glucometer at home?
The importance of regular blood glucose check for people with diabetes is not much emphasized. Blood glucose test along with your diet, exercise and medicines help in knowing the better levels of blood glucose. But sometimes it happens that the correct results are not available when using the glucometer. And what we do? We always blame the glucometer, but it needs to be noted that every time the glucometer is not at fault. There may be mistakes made while checking the blood glucose level. If you are wondering what are such mistakes, then we are going to tell you some, which you often do. You can easily check your exact blood glucose level by correcting these mistakes.
While checking your glucose level through a glucometer, it is most important to wash your hands thoroughly (even if your hands are not dirty). This is because not washing hands before the investigation can lead to poor results. According to a study published in the Diabetes Care Journal in 2011, there is a difference of more than 10 per cent between the first drop and the second drop used to check blaze sugar. It is therefore recommended to wash hands with soap and water, dry them and use only the first drop of blood (when using a glucometer to check blood glucose levels).
Checking immediately after dinner
Most people check within half an hour and an hour after eating. According to experts, it is always recommended to check the glucose level after two hours of eating to get the right result. Also, it is always considered good to check glucose level before eating food.
- In some cases, people whose hands are cold or their blood circulation is poor then their fingers are pressed to get enough blood. However, this is not true as external pressure may cause the readings to deteriorate.
- A 2011 study suggests that you always gently warm the hands before scrutiny or rub your hands so that you don't have to press them.
- Pressing the fingers may release the interstitial fluid instead of blood, which can lead to poor results.
- Also, it does not matter which finger is being used for glucose measurement, but using the same finger all the time can cause pain, discomfort and prick.
- Also, while checking blood glucose, needles should be applied on the edges of the fingers and not on the veins present in the fingers. This may cause you more pain.
Not drinking enough water
Lack of water can increase your blood glucose level. When you will not drink enough water, the level of glucose in your blood will increase significantly. As a result, the concentration of glucose will increase blood circulation. Due to this, you will get more urine and there will be a lack of water in your body. Therefore, to avoid water scarcity, it is advisable to drink as much water as possible, due to which your blood glucose level changes.
Read more articles on Diabetes
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.