Food and dietary habits play a major part to reduce the risk of cervical cancer. Here are some tips to help you structure a diet for the prevention of cervical cancer.
As per the report of the National Cancer Institute, one-third of all cancer deaths are associated with wrong dietary practices. Just how foods are helpful, they may hurt you too. Cervical cancer can be prevented with certain food types owing to their cancer-fighting properties and antioxidants. Foods with cancer-fighting ability nullify the effect of free radicals promoting cancer development.
[Read: Facts about Cervical Cancer]
According to nutrition experts, there isn't a single element or a particular food that works to prevent cervical cancer. Therefore, it is advisable to structure a diet with a variety of foods. These foods help prevent cancer and restrict the activity of cancer cell growth. Besides structuring a requisite diet plan, abstaining from unhealthy habits such as cigarette smoking and indulging in alcohol also play a part in the prevention of cervical cancer.
[Read: Tips to Quit Smoking]
Mentioned below are the few food options that will help to stave off cancer and prevent cancer cell growth.
- Broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower contain indole-3-carbinol that fights breast cancer tumours.
- Incorporation of vitamin A in diet helps to prevent cervical cancer. Foods rich in vitamin A include orange, carrots, squash, eggs, liver, tuna and fortified dairy products.
- Foods rich in the vitamin-B folate should also be incorporated in diet. Folate lowers the level of homocysteine, a substance responsible for abnormal cell growth in the cervix. Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and collard greens are excellent sources to boost folate consumption and prevent cervical cancer.
- Avocados are acknowledged for their antioxidant effect and their ability to attack free radicals by restricting intestinal absorption to limit cancer development.
- Foods high in antioxidants are advised for the prevention of cervical cancer. Blueberries, squash, bell peppers, cherries, salmon and fatty fish are the antioxidants-enriched food options that fight free radicals to restrict abnormal growth of cells on the cervix.
- Carrots contain beta carotene, which is helpful for preventing cancer growth.
- Inclusion of chilli peppers and jalapenos in the diet is recommended to neutralise nitrosamines.
- Incorporation of cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage contain antioxidants (lutein and zeaxanthin) that help reduce cancer growth.
- Foods with polyphenols and flavonoids that include green tea, olive oil, red grapes, black raspberries, blackberries, red wine, chocolate, walnuts, grapefruit, tomatoes, red beans and green peppers, peanuts and pomegranate are beneficial to prevent cervical cancer and inhibit cancer growth.
- Foods that increase aflatoxin should be avoided as it may cause cervical cancer due to its ability to damage DNA.
Read more articles on Cancer
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.