Foods to lower blood sugar levels include vinegar, cinnamon, green tea and others.
After being diagnosed with diabetes, it becomes important that you keep lowering your blood sugar to prevent complications such as dizziness, nausea or even generally feeling lightheaded. Some of the most recommended methods of treatment include having frequent meals, monitoring your blood sugar levels and having foods that are low in simple sugars. These foods to lower blood sugar levels include:
- Oatmeal – You can lower your blood sugar through oatmeal if you take care not to get the sweetened variety of it. As it is slower to digest, oatmeal does not raise your blood sugar level. It has a high content of soluble fibre which helps to keep the blood sugar under check for long. This is important as people with type 2 diabetes are inclined to be overweight.
- Green leafy vegetables – Some of the green leafy vegetables are broccoli, spinach and green beans. The high fibre and low carbohydrate content of the green vegetables make them an ideal choice for lowering blood sugar.
- Strawberries – For people who have a sweet tooth, strawberries are a much better option than candy bars or cookies. Having a cup full of strawberries does not raise your blood sugar level and the high fibre as well as water content keeps you feeling full for long. This helps to maintain the right calorie intake for the diabetics.
- Cinnamon – In a study conducted in Germany, patients with type 2 diabetes were showed encouraging results when they were given cinnamon extract thrice a day for four months. Their blood sugar level came down by 10.3 per cent. Although cinnamon will not start getting prescribed as diabetes medication yet, there is no harm in sprinkling it on your morning oatmeal daily.
- Vinegar – Adding vinegar to a meal was found to be helpful in preventing the spike in blood sugar level. Generally diabetics experience a sharp rise in their blood sugar after their meals, especially after the intake of white rice, potatoes and white bread. Just two tablespoons of vinegar in a meal containing high starchy foods is one of the easy ways to lower the blood sugar. Moreover, when diabetics sleep after taking apple cidar vinegar, their blood sugar is low on waking up. Vinegar can be an important part of a diabetic diet.
- Unsweetened green tea – A cup of green tea can lower your blood sugar by up to 30 points. You can also have black tea without sugar, even white tea and/or green tea supplements for a positive effect on lowering blood sugar.
Read more articles on Diabetes
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.