Can adults benefit from fluoride?
According to newer studies everyone benefits from fluoride. Initial studies suggested that fluoride was beneficial for strengthening of teeth while they were still developing. But recent research has shown that topical fluoride use (fluoride that is present toothpastes, mouth rinses) and fluoride treatment helps to prevent tooth decay in people of all ages.How do I know if I need special fluoride treatment?
In adults and children with healthy teeth that are low risk of decay ---fluoride in drinking water and brushing regularly with a fluoride containing toothpaste is sufficient to meet the fluoride requirement. If your drinking water contains fluoride (at least 1 part per million) then it has adequate amount of fluoride.If you have the following conditions consult your dentist for fluoride treatments
- Dry mouth as a result of side effect of medications.
- Receding gums
- Wear braces or other orthodontic appliances.
- Are receiving radiation therapy to the neck or head.
What are the different types of fluoride treatment?
Fluoride treatment can be given at your dentist's office or at home as well.
- In dental-office fluoride treatment is applied as a paint, foam or varnish to the teeth. You will be advised to avoid eating, drinking or smoking for about 30 minutes after it.
- At-home fluoride treatment: You will be advised to apply fluoride gel (as prescribed by the dentist).
Even if you at low risk for tooth decay, all adults are recommended to use a fluoride containing toothpaste. It has been proven reduce the risk of tooth decay.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.