Condoms - Know the facts about male condom, the most cost-effective and preferred method of contraception.
- Male Condoms are the best form of contraception and they prevent unplanned pregnancy and transmission of sexually transmitted diseases with least chance of side-effects.
- Male condom is a barrier method of contraception which works by preventing the semen from man’s penis to reach the woman’s vagina.
- If used correctly, male condoms have been found to have a success rate of 98 percent. Even when the condoms are not used properly, the success rate is as high as 86 percent.
- According to some reports rate of condom breakage is highest in India.
- Condoms are made from latex, polyurethane and even lambskin among other substances.
- It is not recommended to use oil-based lubricants on your condom because they make the condoms weak and prone to break. The recommended lubricants are water-based to be used outside of the condom.
- Male condoms are the most low-priced method of contraception. They are the most portable too.
- Condoms can be purchased without a prescription. They are available as over-the-counter drugs at almost all chemist stores in India. In some countries you can get them at supermarkets, petrol stations and pubs.
- Male condoms are not as effective against STDs other than AIDS. Diseases such as herpes, genital warts and syphilis are not protected completely by using condoms.
- A male condom, when expanded completely can take the load of around 3.8 litres of liquid. This explanation is given just to have an idea of the durability of the condom.
- Condoms for men can break if they do not make sure to prevent air bubbles from getting inside them. They need to be cautious when putting them on.
- Store your condoms in a cool and dry place as with heat and moisture, your condom can become brittle and break during intercourse.
- Approximately 5 billion condoms are used in the world each year.
- Some people get the false notion that using two condoms at a time will make them safer. This is a misnomer as by doing this you run the risk of tearing them with the increased friction.
- Some people develop latex allergy. They have the option to other condoms but they are not as effective in preventing STDs. Polyurethane condoms are most preferred by people who have latex allergies.
- There are more than 100 brands for condoms worldwide.
Read more articles on Condoms
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.