Exercises during Pregnancy - Some exercises suitable for giving relief from hip pain and strengthening the muscles adjoining the hips are given in this article. Do not try them without your doctor’s recommendation.
The changes in your body during pregnancy result in hip pain. The weight of the growing baby in the uterus and the weakening of the tendons and ligaments supporting the hip bone at once cause the pain. Moreover, you can sleep only on your back or side and such postures are not the most comfortable for the back. You need to practice such exercises for hip pain during pregnancy that do give relief from discomfort but also lead to strengthening muscles adjoining the hip bone.
Exercises during Pregnancy for Hip Pain
Pelvic Tilts – Pelvic tilts build strength in the muscles of your hips and abdomen.
- Get on a position with the back parallel to the floor while staying on all fours.
- Sag your back a little towards the floor while pointing the top of your pelvis downwards.
- Raise your pelvis as you tighten the muscles of your pelvis and bottom.
- Tuck your pelvis under and round your back.
- Come back to the position at the start.
- Repeat these pelvic tilts 200 times daily but spread them out to four sessions.
Leg Raises – This is the most basic exercise for getting comfort from hip pain. Your pelvic muscles are comforted by lifting the legs and stretching if the body is positioned well for it.
- Lie on your back and stretch out the leg muscles.
- Raise both of your legs perpendicular to the floor and keep them there for 10 seconds.
- If you need to, support the hips with your hands when lifting the legs.
- Bring the legs down as gently as possible.
- Repeat the steps 5 times for a start. Increase the repetitions when comfortable.
Butterfly Stretches - Butterfly stretches give strength to the muscles in the hips and thighs.
- Sitting on the floor, Bring your soles of feet close together. Bend your knees and bring the feet around 12 to 18 inches away from your body.
- With gentle pressure on your knees from the hands, bring the knees up a few inches and then down a few inches.
- This could be repeated many times a day depending on your stamina.
You must understand before trying out these exercises for hip pain during pregnancy that recommendation from your doctor is a must. Other methods of removing hip pain during pregnancy can also be tried such as prenatal yoga, massaging the hips with pain relief balm, taking warm compresses on the hip and the practice of altering poses while sleeping at night.
Read more articles on Exercises during Pregnancy
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.