You may be following a so-called healthy diet, yet illnesses continue to strike. But are you aware if that diet suits your body composition?
Rising awareness about eating fruits and greens has propelled a lot of us towards planning diets for ourselves. But we ignore the fact that everybody composition is different and foods that may suit one person may not be fit for the other. Perhaps this is the reason why even after eating what we term as “nutritious diet”, we fail to remain healthy and keep diseases at bay. Therefore, before planning any diet, it is essential to note that as per Ayurveda there are three types of body compositions - Vatha, Pitta and Kapha - known as ‘tridosha’ in Sanskrit meaning ‘things that control your body and mind’. Dr Lalita Bhatt, BMS, Nadi says, “Those wanting to lose weight unknowingly consume things that may be extremely harmful for their body composition, resulting in no weight loss. Every body type has a different response to different food products.”
This body type does not easily adjust to the changes in lifestyle, diet and climate. These are a few physical and emotional attributes. They have healthy body weight. They have dryness in the body, internal or external, or even both. They are multi-taskers. No one can draw boundaries for them. They are freethinkers and work as per their own will with par excellence. Dr Lalita Bhatt shares tips on balancing your doshas by eating right and following certain precautions:
- Avoid any dry food like dry vegetables, refined flour. Raw food, frozen food and biscuits
- Gas-producing food like potatoes and cauliflowers are harmful
- Beans like kidney beans and a few pulses also don’t go well with this body composition
- Don’t control urination
- Smoking, alcohol and stimulants don’t go well with your system.
- Sweet fruits like mangoes and bananas are suitable. Also, legumes like moong dal are incredibly beneficial
Pitta, as the name suggests denotes heat and anger. It is a combination of fire and water. The principal properties of this dosha are a light, hot, helpful, open, unpleasant odour, etc. Their characteristics are that Anger and irritation are prevalent in this dosha. People of this dosha usually wear spectacles. They have a problem of pigmentation. For them, the taste of the food matters, not the quantity. Greed, jealousy, cruelty, competition can lead to an imbalance. They find it challenging to deal with these emotional attributes. Balance your Pita dosha by taking the following measures:
- Avoid spices and sour foods
- Fast food, fried, salty and oily food is not very beneficial, limit intake
- Avoid acidic food
- Avoid taking hot water baths
- Avoid sun, chemicals and steam
Earth and water constitute the Kapha dosha in any individual. The attributes of this dosha are smooth, strong, thick, soft, steady, etc. The characteristics of this dosha are that they do not bother about anything. They have a sharp memory. They are excellent and loyal friends. They have a neutral approach to everything. Expressions like anger and happiness are balanced. For them, the quantity of food matters equally with quality. Balance your Kapha dosha by taking the following measures:
- Milk does not suit their system that well
- Avoid eating an excess of sweet products
- Regular physical activity is a must
- Excessive sleep makes them lazy
- Salty, heavy, oily, stale, cold and sweet in excess is extremely harmful
Read more aritcles on Ayurveda
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.