If you also have diabetes, then know how diabetes and mental health are interlinked. Here's The Link Between The Two.
How are mental health issues associated with diabetes? Diabetes is a disease that completely changes the lifestyle of the patient. In type-1 diabetes, the body does not produce insulin, whereas, in type-2 diabetes, the pancreas makes some insulin, but that is not enough for the body. People who have diabetes need to make some changes in their lifestyle (daily habits) so that they can be mentally healthy as well. Do you know that, along with diabetes, it is also essential to pay attention to mental health? Yes, hence, it is suggested for people who have diabetes to stay away from stress and anxiety. Because the blood sugar levels fluctuate during stress.
How are mental health and diabetes correlated?
- People who suffer from type-1 and type-2 diabetes have a higher risk of stress. Do you know that the risk of pressure increases up to 2 times in people with diabetes? Let us show you how diabetes causes stress. People with diabetes are often worried about the increase or decrease in their blood sugar levels, because of which they start paying more attention to their eating habits. Apart from this, when your blood sugar level changes, then it also affects your mood. The stress caused by diabetes is called diabetes distress.
- According to the International Diabetes Federation, most people who are suffering from diabetes are always worried about their blood sugar levels, due to which it turns into stress. Along with this, two out of five people say that they remain worried about the fact that they as well as their family have to suffer due to their illness.
How can people with diabetes take care of their mental health?
- Do you know that 33 per cent of people with diabetes experience diabetes distress? Yes, and the worst part is that it cannot be treated with medication. According to experts, one can improve their diabetes management with talk therapy. Meanwhile, support groups can also help reduce stress.
- The first thing to keep in mind: 'mental health is as important as your physical health'. The way you take care of your appearance (body) and dietary habits, you should also give importance to your mental health.
- Both diabetes and stress or anxiety can be easily overcome, and both are treatable. For this, you should contact your diabetes educator and ask them how to keep your mind as well as body healthy. Apart from this, if you feel that you are more prone to stress, then you can contact a psychiatrist for this. They can give you better tips for mental health.
Takeaway tips for diabetes patients
- Diabetes has become quite common nowadays, and we all know that it directly affects your lifestyle. If you have diabetes, then, you need to pay attention to your mental health as well.
- You have to change your daily routine and unhealthy eating habits. If you go to a diabetes educator, they will even suggest a different type of diet which is beneficial for you.
- For people with diabetes, it is also advised to stay away from things like sweet, sugary foods and alcohol. With this, it is essential to monitor your blood sugar levels from time to time.
Read More Articles in Diabetes
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.