Diet for lung cancer patient can control the spread of the cancer and help the body to recover from the damage caused.
Lung cancer accounts for a great percentage of the total cancer deaths worldwide. The cancer treatment course often leads to reduced appetite of the patient, though it is during this time that the patient’s body demands additional strength to fight the downsides of treatment and to heal and restore the lost energy levels. Proper nutrition is essential for a victim of lung cancer. Here is a list of foods that a lung cancer patient may include in his/her diet:
Foods rich in Antioxidants
- Inclusion of fruits and vegetables in a lung cancer patient’s diet is essential to restore his/her immune system. Fruits and vegetables enhance the production of healthy cells and reduce free radicals from our body. Adding more fruits and vegetables in diet boosts the lung cancer patient’s metabolism and energy levels as they are rich sources of antioxidants.
- The diet of a lung cancer patient should have garlic, onions, tomatoes, soy, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage. Onion and garlic have anti-cancer properties and function to reduce the production of cancer-causing agents.
- Green tea is the richest source of antioxidants. It is believed that the amount of antioxidants in green tea is 500 times more potent than vitamin C sources. Therefore, lung cancer patients must aim to drink at least two cups of green tea every day.
- Tomatoes, watermelon and papaya contain an antioxidant called lycopene, which disrupts the growth of cancerous cells and prevents cancer from becoming severe.
- Green and leafy vegetables, such as lettuce and cabbage are inclusive of Sulforaphane, which is an antioxidant that raises the production of phase II enzymes, which are responsible for removal of carcinogens from cells.
- The body of a cancer patient requires as much amount of fats as a normal person does, however, due to the growth of cancer cells and its repercussions, their bodies are fail to absorb sources of saturated (unhealthy) fat.
- Sources of healthy fats must be included in a lung cancer patient’s diet, but the consumption should remain moderate. Healthy fats aid in the proper regulation of the nervous system and also maintain blood pressure, heart rate, blood vessel constriction and prevent blood clotting.
- Some rich sources of healthy fats include olive oil, flaxseed oil and essential fatty acids, such as Omega-3 fatty acids, which are found in salmon fish, shrimp, nuts (particularly walnuts) and tofu. Lung cancer patients may consult their oncologist to learn about the suitability of omega-3 supplements that are available in the form of pills. Fatty acids restrict the further growth of cancerous cells and therefore, they must be chosen wisely before being included in the diet.
Deficiency of protein may delay the healing of lung cancer patients, says the American Cancer Society. A lung cancer patient must aim to consume high-quality protein items in his diet. He can take skinless poultry, fish, egg whites and small amount of beef. Lung cancer patient should refrain from consuming red and fried meat.
Taking timely meals is also important to fight lung cancer. One should consult an oncologist before starting any diet or exercise.
Read more articles on Lung Cancer Treatment.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.