It is very important to have nutritious and healthy diet while undergoing the treatment for bone cancer. It makes one feel better and also accelerates the process of recovery.
Usually the bone cancer treatment is harsh and demanding, both physically and mentally. Patients generally feel nauseous, losing appetite and they also develop mouth sores. Healthy and nutrition packed diet would make you feel better and would also accelerate the process of recovery. Therefore, it is very important to have nutritious and healthy diet while undergoing the treatment. Diet plan for bone cancer patients can broadly be classified into three stages: before starting the treatment, during the treatment, and after the treatment. Here are some of the points that should be kept in mind while planning your diet
Before the treatment: It is very important to start preparing your body for the treatment. Good diet would ensure that you have sufficient stock of nutrients in your body that would help in keeping your body strong and immune against all sorts of infection. It would also help you in withstanding the side effects of various drugs. Following foods should be included in your diet
- Intake of protein is very necessary as it provides energy to the body. Therefore include a lot of dairy products, eggs, meat, beans, fish, nuts, legumes and all other foods with high protein content.
- Increase your consumption of calories and fatty food. Apart from supplying energy to the body, it also helps in keeping the weight loss in check. Try to have more amounts of cheese, butter and carbohydrates.
[Read: Ways to Treat Bone Cancer]
During the treatment: While undergoing the treatment, usually patients lose their appetite and they do not feel like eating at all. However, it is advisable to maintain their proper diet routine, irrespective of whether they wish to eat or not. Here are some important points regarding your diet during the treatment:
- It is advisable to have small and frequent meals that contain good amounts of protein and calories.
- Drink plenty of water and other fluids in order to keep your body well hydrated.
- Fried and oily stuffs should be avoided as the digestive system of the body becomes week.
- If you are undergoing radiation therapy, you must have something an hour prior to each session.
- You should plan your diet in such a way that you have more number of smaller meals throughout the day, rather than having three large meals even if you feel that the food is not tasting as good as it used to taste.
- In case you find it extremely difficult to eat anything at all, feeding tube should be inserted in your stomach. Its visible part lies above your belly button. Water and other liquid diet should be poured through this tube about 4-5 times a day in order to keep your body hydrated and full.
Post treatment: Once your treatment is over, it is time when your diet would play an important role in speedy recovery. Here are some necessary tips regarding your post-treatment diet:
- You should make it a point to have 5-7 servings of fresh fruits and vegetables in a day. You can also have them in liquid form as it is easier to digest. Try out various combinations of carrots, spinach, onion, tomato, cucumber, garlic, beet, broccoli, etc.
- Bone cancer makes your bones weak. Therefore, it becomes very important to have calcium rich food. While some calcium forms are difficult to absorb in the body, many calcium supplements are available in the market that get absorbed easily. Take the help of your doctor to find out the best suited calcium supplement for you.
- Alcoholic beverages should be kept to minimum as they adversely affect the process of recovery.
Proper nutrition would help in fighting against all sorts of infection and would also give a much needed boost to your energy level. Therefore, eat healthy and stay healthy.
Read More Articles on Bone Cancer.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.