Did You Take the Oh-So-Good Probiotics Yet?

Updated at: Mar 17, 2014
Did You Take the Oh-So-Good Probiotics Yet?

You can supplement probiotics from a health food store. They are excellent sources of probiotics that can be consumed daily and can help you in a lot of ways.

Ariba Khaliq
Exercise & FitnessWritten by: Ariba KhaliqPublished at: Mar 17, 2014

In the beginning of the 20th century, Russian scientist and Nobel laureate Eli Metchnikoff, observed the positive role played by certain bacteria for the first time. He suggested that it would be possible to modify the gut flora and to replace harmful microbes by useful microbes.

Fast forward to the 2010s, a baffling selection of probiotic foods and supplements crowd the long aisles of food stores. There are 400 to 500 species of bacteria residing in your gut or gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Good bacteria need to comprise 85 percent of the intestinal flora while allowing the remaining 15 percent to be pathogenic. Two-thirds or more of the immune system relies on this.

You can supplement probiotics from a health food store. Or you can take in probiotics through fermented foods. Milk kefir and water kefir are excellent sources of probiotics that can be consumed daily. Probiotics can help you in a lot of ways. Some are:

benefits of probiotics

Preventing Diarrhoea as a Result of Antibiotics

One of the problems of antibiotic treatments is that they cause damage to the intestinal flora. The problem is very common and it is believed that approximately 30% of patients develop diarrhoea due to the antibiotics. Some studies dealt with taking probiotics both in children and adults, showed that the probiotics can significantly prevent diarrhoea resulting from antibiotic. This is probably due to strengthening the flora in the gut, thus preventing the ability of pathogenic bacteria to grow.

Allergy Prevention

It is believed that probiotics bacteria can prevent the penetration of different antigens that contribute to allergic reactions or have the ability to regulate the functioning of the immune system responsible for fighting allergic symptoms. It is important to note that the beneficial effect is probably more effective in severe cases.

benefits of probiotics

Immunity Enhancement

A double-blind clinical test involving patients in intensive care proved that viable (alive) probiotics prevented multiple organ dysfunction syndrome (MODS), the number one cause of mortality among intensive care patients.

Boosting Energy Levels

For every two minutes of energy you body creates, the microflora produces six seconds of it. If that doesn't sound like much, think of the most erotic two minutes of your life and take the best six seconds of it—that's what the microflora gives you.

Increasing Metabolism

The microflora present in probiotics converts 30% of the inactive thyroid hormone, thyroxine, to its active form, T3, to help boost your metabolism. If you're feeling a little sluggish, constipated, and your hair is falling out (three signs of a subclinical thyroid disorder), perhaps you want to add a good probiotic to your thyroid optimizing protocol.

benefits of probiotics

Improving Mineral Absorption

Beneficial microbes enhance the absorption of calcium, magnesium and zinc. If improved bone density is a goal, adding a good probiotic should be considered along with Vitamin D3, calcium, magnesium and other bone nutrients.

Please note that many of the possible health benefits of probiotics still require more scientific research to be proven. But, there is an increasing interest in probiotic interventions. Therefore, as long as the probiotics source is low-calorie and healthful, itself, it is an innocuous method to attempt.

Image Courtesy: Getty Images

Read more articles on Diet Basics.


All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.

This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK