This Navratra, have delectable yet low calorie treat of Kuttu Khichadi. The cooking process is easy and simple and can serve a platter full of goodness.
- Kuttu, 1 cup
- Potatoes, 2 medium, cut in small cubes
- Water, 2 cups
- Green chili, 1, chopped
- Finely chopped ginger, ½ inch
- Cumin seeds, ½ tsp
- Organic unrefined cane sugar or regular sugar, 1 tsp
- Raw peanuts, 2 tbsp
- Ghee or peanut oil, , 1 tbsp
- Chopped coriander leaves, 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice or as required (optional)
- Rock salt as required
How to make kuttu khichadi for Navratra:
- Take a shallow frying pan and roast the peanuts till they are golden brown and crunchy. Keep them aside.
- Now, powder them and again keep the powdered peanuts aside.
- Now, wash the Kuttu in water.
- Take a deep frying pan and heat some oil or ghee. Throw in some cumin seeds, cook till they sputter.
- Now, add the ginger and green chilies and cook for a few seconds.
- Add the potatoes and then cook for another 2 to 3 minutes till the potatoes are crisp from outside. Keep stirring at intervals. You should better cut the potatoes in smaller cubes, so that they cook faster.
- Now, add the raw peanuts and cook for half a minute. Later, add the washed/rinsed Kuttu. Mix well and cook for 1 to 2 mins.
- Now, add water, sugar and salt.
- Now cover the pan with a lid and let the kuttu simmer on a low flame.
- Cook till the water is vaporized and the kuttu is cooked well.
- Give it a final stir and garnish with coriander.
Read more articles in Diet & Nutrition.