Allergy during Pregnancy - Pregnancy can heighten every negative and positive element in the body. Allergies are a major part of this heightening.
Pregnancy is a phase that involves multiple changes in the body. The hormones are on an overdrive and infest a profound influence on the immune system. The immune system dampens itself to avoid the rejection of the fetus, which is immunologically a foreign organism thereby, leading to less vigilance against any foreign substance. This lack of vigilance leads to a heightening of the allergy triggering ability of the immune system. For instance, some women who had asthma before pregnancy experience frequent attacks after pregnancy. It is also likely that a woman develops asthma or any other allergic disease after being pregnant. Allergies, sure are annoying and sometimes, painful to bear. Allergies during pregnancy, however, can be dealt with a few easy steps that are as given below:
- Experiment with a nasal saline spray. A nasal saline is just salt water that helps to fight against worsening of allergies during pregnancies. Besides, they are not harmful to the fetus. Spray the nasal saline spray into the nostrils and blow your nose after a minute.
- Use nasal irrigation with the help of a neti pot. Nasal irrigation helps to flush all the sinus passages out with the help of salt water. Fill the neti pot with a warm salt water solution and flush each nostril out with it.
- Using a humidifier at night to fill the air with moisture helps to relived pressure and pain that is associated with the allergies.
- Use a medicated nasal spray to experience the best results. Medicated nasal sprays help especially when you start using them before the actual onset of the allergies. Consult your doctor about nasal sprays before using one to ensure that the use of one does not hamper the fetus.
- Allergy medication is a good option provided the other options fail though this option must be avoided during the first trimester. Consult your doctor to find an allergy medication that will work for you during the second and third trimester.
- If you had been using allergy shots before pregnancy, you can continue using them during pregnancy. It is, however, not recommended to start allergy shots after getting pregnant.
- The key to coping with allergies during pregnancy is taking proper medications. Ensure that you talk to your doctor about medication during pregnancy.
Read more articles on During Pregnancy
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.