Newborn Care- While travelling it is important to change baby's diaper at regular intervals. Even though, the diapers allow the babies to be clean and dry, but if not changed on time they can also bring in the unnecessary rashes and inconvenience.
Changing diapers of babies, especially while travelling, can often be a daunting task for parents. Babies are bundles of energy, always in action, seldom allowing you to change their diapers comfortably. Finding the right place to change the diaper during travel can also be difficult. Diapers must be changed at regular intervals, as prolonged use of a single diaper will provide discomfort to your baby and will invite diaper rashes in the future. Some babies get well adjusted to their regular diaper changing habits and start expressing their discomfort after a certain interval of time. Diaper changing is not so bothersome in such cases.
The normal diaper changing routine of the baby should be followed regardless of travel duration. Sometimes, mothers avoid changing diapers at regular intervals during journeys. This practice should be strictly avoided, and the mother should definitely look for suitable conditions well ahead to change soiled or wet diapers. Though diapers allow the babies to remain clean and dry for long hours, diaper changing at definite intervals of time is highly advisable.
For instance, Kirti Juneja avoided changing the diaper of her baby while travelling as she was carrying a limited stock. Her baby developed diaper rashes within a few hours after she alighted from the train. She had no way but to rush to the local paediatrician for necessary treatment. You need to apply a little common sense in maintaining the regularity of diaper changing while travelling to enjoy a comfortable journey. Some useful guidelines for parents regarding changing a diaper while traveling are discussed below.
- Pack sufficient number of diapers with other essentials before stepping out to make sure that you do not run out of your stock. You should have a clear idea about the required number of diapers for the journey.
- Always carry disposable diapers for your baby while on a journey so that you can easily dispose off used diapers in suitable places.
- Wrap the soiled diapers properly before disposing them off. Carry plastic bags to dispose them in designated places without creating any discomfort for other co-passengers or the general public.
- Place your baby in the sitting position on your lap, slowly unfasten the diaper and wrap it properly in a plastic bag.
- First, thoroughly clean your hands with a hand sanitizer, then take out a fresh diaper and fasten it slowly around the diaper area. Engage your baby with some soft toys so that he/she allows you to fasten the diaper comfortably.
- If your baby is unable to sit, lay him on a towel on a table or on your seat. Take enough care that your baby does not roll down from the seat while you are busy with the diapers. Then follow the normal procedure of changing the diaper.
- Keep some baby wipes with you. They will be extremely useful to you and your baby while changing diapers. You can use the baby wipes to clean the soiled areas of the bottom of your baby before putting on a fresh diaper.
Changing a diaper while travelling can be tough at times, but parents need to be alert enough to find the right place for performing the task. It is mandatory to check the essentials of a baby’s hygiene before you start your journey.
Read more articles on Newborn Care
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.