Causes of Tooth Discoloration in Children - Causes of tooth discolouration in children can be many. At times they are preventable through some home remedies. If you want to visit a dentist for the problem of teeth discolouration in children, it is
Tooth discolouration in children can be due to several causes. Whatever the cause may be, you can try to treat it at home before visiting the dentist. This is so because some problems of tooth discoloration are easily resolvable with simple home remedies. For more complex medical conditions, you will need to visit the dentist for a thorough examination and treatment.
- A common cause for tooth discolouration is eating or drinking foods that are known to discolour the teeth. Tea, coffee, wines, cola drinks, fruits like apples, vegetables like potatoes are some eatables that lead to stained or discoloured teeth in children.
- Poor oral hygiene like inadequate brushing and flossing or stains of foods mentioned above will surely lead to teeth discolouration. Excess fluoride intake or injuries to the teeth can also cause discolouration.
- The teeth of developing children can get discoloured if antibiotics like doxycycline or tetracycline are given to them. These antibiotics have been found to discolour teeth of children if given to them before the age of 8. According to Medline Plus, genetic deficiency or inherited disease can also result in discoloured teeth.
- There can be accidental causes of tooth discolouration of children too. At times an accidental fall disturbs the process of enamel formation in children leading to discolouration.
Home Remedies to Prevent Tooth Discolouration in Children
- As advised by Medline Plus, practice of proper oral hygiene prevents discolouration caused by inadequate flossing or intake of food stuff that stain the teeth.
- Many fruits have teeth whitening properties that remove teeth discoloration. They are lemon, strawberries and oranges.
- Toothpaste prepared from baking soda, lime and salt work as a good whitening preparation. Using it for cleansing your teeth daily will help to remove the discolouration.
Visiting Your Dentist
Kidshealth.org has pointed out that you should try to find a dentist who specializes in treatment of kids’ teeth. They are adept at knowing the cause of tooth discolouration in children and can refer you to another specialist if the situation warrants it. If the home remedies do not seem to get rid of discoloured teeth in children, it is always advisable to visit a dentist.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.