Infertility in India is on an increase and the major causes being cited are urbanization, pollution, stress, chemical exposure, competitiveness, career preference, etc.
Not being able to have a baby can be a sad experience. About 15-20% of married couples in India, in the reproductive age group are infertile. Infertility in India is on an increase and the major causes being cited are urbanization, pollution, stress, chemical exposure, competitiveness, career preference etc.
Causes of Infertility
Sometimes our body does not operate the way it should which can lead to many health complications. If you are not able to conceive naturally, it can potentially mean that you or your partner has a health problem. Your doctor will recommend some fertility tests in a basic infertility evaluation. These tests are generally done over the course of a menstrual cycle(approximately one month).
The common reasons that lead to infertility include:
- Problem in ovulation
- Disease or defect in the fallopian tube (tubal infertility)
- Sperm problems such as azoospermia and oligospermia
- Certain diseases such as polycystic ovarian disease, severe endometriosis and pelvic inflammatory disease with severe adhesion
- Premature menopause (infertility due to female age problems)
- Issues with the ovum--egg quantity or quality issues
- Unexplained infertility
Certain other causes of infertility are:
- Uterine problems and diseases
- Failure of vasectomy/ tubectomy reversal surgery
- Genetic conditions or diseases or immunological problems
- Treatments options for female and male infertility
Advances in modern medicine have made it possible for couples with fertility problems longing for a baby to realize their dream. Your doctor will take a detailed history of the couple, do clinical examination and recommend the tests as required. Depending on your history and findings of clinical examination and investigations, your doctor will recommend treatment options.
The different modes of treatment that are offered in India include:
- Intra Uterine Insemination - IUI
- In-vitro fertilization - IVF
- Intracytoplasmic sperm injection - ICSI
- Assisted hatching
- IVF with blastocyst transfer
- Donor sperm insemination
- Egg donation - IVF using donor eggs
- Laparoscopy for infertility
- Hysteroscopy for infertility
- Induction of ovulation for infertility
- Ovarian stimulation
- Tubal surgery for damaged or blocked fallopian tube
Read more articles on Pregnancy.
For more related articles, download OnlymyHealth app.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.