Since there are different types of hair loss so as the causes of hair loss also varies. Know all about what cause hair to fall.
Alopecia can be categorized by types; there are different types of hair loss with different specific causes behind it. But the common causes of hair loss ranges from inherited factors, diseases, stress, medicines, injury to the scalp, aging, nutrition and hair care.
- Inherited hair loss: The medical term for this type of hair loss is androgenetic alopecia. The cause behind this type is genetics. A person inherits the tendency to lose hair from either or both of the parents. This type of hair loss is also known as male pattern baldness and female pattern baldness. In this type of hair loss, your genes act as a stimulant to a class of hormones called androgens (including testosterone), which causes hair follicles to shrink. The shrinking follicles are unable to grow hair at normal pace and quality causing baldness. While man develop baldness in the crown or as receding hairline, women have an overall thinning of the hair.
[Read: Treatment for Androgenetic Alopecia?]
- Diseases: Diseases such as cancer, lupus, syphilis and thyroid problems leads to hair fall. Hair may grow back naturally; however treatment may be required too.
- Medication: Certain prescribed medications, such as (medication like) antidepressants, anticoagulants or chemotherapy have side effects in form of hair loss. Over-the-counter oral contraceptives can also cause hair fall.
- Mental and Physical stress: A body undergoes tremendous physical and emotional stress while recovering from an illness, high fever or a surgery. For example, chemotherapy as a treatment to cancer can take toll on overall health and hair. Hair usually grows back after the source of stress is gone.
- Scalp ringworm: The medical term is tinea capitis, is a disease caused by a superficial fungal infection of the skin of the scalp, eyebrows and eyelashes with a tendency to attack hair follicles.
- Poor nutrition: An imbalanced diet, especially which lacks protein and iron, which are the building blocks of hair, can cause hair fall. Hair growth resumes after a change of balanced nutritious diet.
- Age: The process of hair growth slows down as we age, hair follicles do not grow as much hair and hair breakage is common.
- Hair care: Usage of various tools of styling which generates heat can result in hair loss. Hair styles which involve pulling and tying of hair in a tight manner, such as tight ponytails, braids or buns cause hair fall.
[Read: How to Control Hair Loss]
- Injury to the scalp: Scalp injuries include scarring which in turn can lead to damage of hair follicles and cause hair loss.
- Changes in hormone levels: Fluctuations in hormones during pregnancy, menstrual cycle and menopause can affect the hair growth cycle and cause hair loss. Hair usually resume growth after equilibrium of hormones is reached.
Read more articles on Hair Loss
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.