The gluteal muscles refer to a group of four muscles that make up the buttocks. Take care and strengthen these to make it easier for hips and legs.
The gluteal muscles are one of the largest muscle groups in the body. The muscle groups are considered difficult to exercise, but it’s not the case.
The gluteal muscles - a group of four muscles that make up the buttocks are the large muscles above your hamstrings that are responsible for moving your hips and legs. If you don’t have strong butt muscles, you may find the load on your back too heavy. Moreover, you may experience pain and discomfort in your lower back.
Benefits of Glute Exercises
Glute exercises serve both aesthetic and functional purposes for your body. The main benefits of glute workout include ensuring good hip and leg movements. Moreover, doing butt exercises will help strengthen your lower back, preventing various back-related injuries. In this way, glute exercises also contribute to evenly balanced body and musculature. If you don’t have tight butt muscles, your body may not be as functional as it could be.
You rely on buttocks’ muscles for a number of body actions such as lifting your legs, climbing the stairs or stepping on a step stool. You may find your body tired after climbing a few flights of stairs when you have weak butt muscles.
There are several benefits to tightening butt muscles, although it is important to make sure that you are able to do it with ease and don’t inflict any injury.
Different Glute Exercises
There are several exercises that can help strengthen and tone your butt, including hip extensions and lunges. Lunges and squats help strengthen your buttocks’ muscles, but there are certain glute exercises that only aim at working gluteal muscles.
The basic glute exercise (lower-body workout with donkey kicks)
- Kneel down and support your upper body on your forearms.
- Keep right knee bent and slowly lift that leg behind in a way that your foot is raised up toward the ceiling.
- Return to the initial position and repeat the motion with left leg.
Glute exercises on a chair
- You need to choose a suitable chair for doing buttocks exercises, to make sure you are able to isolate the buttocks besides preventing injury to the back. It should have a flat seat and a flat back.
- Sit on the chair with your buttocks toward the back of the chair and the back pressed against its back.
- Bring your hand to each side of the chair and lift the legs off the ground keeping knees bent.
- Lengthen the legs slowly until they are straight and hold them in that position for three seconds before bringing the legs back to the starting position. Squeeze the glutes to get the feel of what it is like when they are engaged.
- Ensure that your feet touch the floor in this position with a small amount of room between the front of the seat and the back of your knee. Moreover, you will feel your body lift up slightly from the chair.
- Repeat the exercise 10 to 15 times for two to three sets. In addition to the glutes, the exercise also works the abdominal muscles.
Image source: Shutterstock
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.