There are several benefits of ayurvedic oil massage, especially if done with medicated ayurvedic oils. Full body massage is recommended to obtain maximum benefit from ayurvedic oil massage.
Ayurvedic oil massage (abhanga) has several benefits. It pacifies kapha and vata, increase stamina, relieves fatigue and nourish all the body parts. Ayurveda recommends incorporating abhanga in your daily routine. Ayurvedic oil massage is traditionally performed in the morning, especially before you take a bath or shower. Sesame oil, herbal massage oil or aroma massage oil can be used for the massage. Here are some benefits of ayurvedic oil massage:
- According to ancient ayurvedic text, regular oil massage (abhyanga) delays the aging process.
- Ayurvedic oil massage gives similar feeling as that of the regular meditation. After massage you will feel settled, serene and in a bliss like state.
- Ayurvedic oil massage loosens the deep seated toxins from joints and tissues and releases them into system, where they are eliminated. Besides this, the accumulated toxins from skin are also released to give you healthy and clearer skin.
- Another benefit of ayurvedic oil massage is that it strengthens and tones the muscles and even resilient to injury.
- Ayurvedic massage with warm oil helps to nourish, strengthen and lubricate the joints. It makes the joints resilient to wear and tear.
- Another important benefit of ayurvedic oil massage is that it pacifies vata dosha. Our day to day anxiety and stress are due to aggravated vata dosha. Since both the warm oil and soothing touch are vata-pacifying so the combination of both of them works best for vata.
- It increases blood circulation, especially in the nerve ending.
- it encourages sound and deeper sleep at night.
- With regular oil massage your skin will look moisturised, lustrous and supple.
- Ayurvedic oil massage also helps to balance kapha dosha. In simpler words, it revitalises lethargic body and mind by enhancing blood circulation throughout the body.
- It also helps to calm nervous system and mind. With regular oil massage you will feel rested, calm, alert as well as focused.
If daily massage on whole body is not possible then at least feet must be massaged. Feet massage before going to bed and head massage every third day can be helpful.
Selection of oil is very important in ayurvedic massage. There is specific oil for specific conditions. Massage with aswagandhaadi oil gives effective result in muscle atrophy. Brahmi oil is good for sound sleep and Mahaamarichyaadi is helps to control itching. Mahanarayana oil is good to treat muscle pains and arthritic conditions. You can get the best oil suitable for you by consulting an ayurvedic physician.
Read more articles on Ayurveda
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.