Back acne can happen to anyone whether mild or severe. Read this article to know more about back acne causes, prevention and treatment.
Appearing anywhere on the skin, acne is extremely irritating and challenging. There are many oil glands on the body at different parts that secrete oil and allow acne to occur. Not many people know but the back also has an oil-producing gland and so, acne on the back are also common. Many people suffer from back acne but they do not why these are caused or how they can be treated. If you are also someone who has back acne, you must read what dermatologist has to say about back acne.
What is back acne?
Our body has several sebaceous glands located in different areas of the body. One gland is at the back. When sebum secretion is high, acne might be caused due to dead cells and bacteria buildup. These cysts or acne might be inflammatory or non-inflammatory and mild or severe depending upon the sebum secretion.
Why is Back Acne Caused?
Here are certain reasons that cause back acne:
- Dead skin cells on the back
- An overactive gland that secretes excess sebum
- Ingrown hair
- Hormonal imbalance
- Heat or friction
- Acne-causing bacteria (Propionibacterium acnes)
- Side-effects of laser treatment
Different Types Of Back Acne
There are different types of back acne that you should know about. These are basically divided into two categories-
Inflammatory- Blackhead and whiteheads
Non-inflammatory- Papules, Pustules, Cysts and Nodules
While anti-inflammatory back acne doesn’t cause any pain and inflammation, inflammatory acne lesions are cystic and have a pus-filled appearance. These need to be prevented and treated.
Can Back Acne Be Prevented?
You can prevent back acne by taking these necessary tips into account:
- Take shower after a workout or coming from work. Accumulation of dirt and sweat primarily causes acne. Before it settles on the skin, shower to get rid of them.
- Use body scrubs and loofah to exfoliate the skin. Purchase only non-comedogenic products with salicylic acid to prevent comedonal acne and keep the skin healthy. Use the scrub on a regular basis.
- Use sunscreen on your back too. This is particularly advised for people who spend a lot of time in the sun. Also, try to cover your body with clothes to minimize the damage.
- If you see breakouts on the back, tie your hair up or else they may aggravate the acne condition.
- Never share your clothes and towels with anyone. Also, wash them regularly.
- Wear light and loose clothes.
Home remedies for back acne
Tea tree oil
One of the best remedial options for acne is tea tree oil. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties to control breakouts. Mix a few drops of tea tree oil in one tablespoon coconut oil and apply this on the acne. Make sure that you apply this on the night so that the acne can heal overnight.
Epsom salt has magnesium which has anti-inflammatory properties. It would reduce the inflammation and redness. To get relief, add a cup of Epsom salt in your bathwater and shower with this.
If you see severe back acne, consult a dermatologist. He can provide the best possible treatment for the condition. It is necessary that you attend to back acne to get relief and prevent them from aggravating.
Read More Articles in Skin Care
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.