Ayurvedic treatment for neck pain includes ayurvedic therapies, diet management, oil massage, ayurvedic medicines and herbs.
Neck pain may be caused due to various reasons. They range from trauma, injury, worry, stress to sleeping in an awkward position, wrong posture while working on a computer, sitting in one position for a long period of time. These factors result into pain in the neck area, and stiffness of the neck muscles, sometimes even causing weakness in the shoulders or arms.
Ayurvedic treatment for neck pain looks into diet management, stress relieving exercises, researched internal medicines, intensive muscle training and Keraliya panchkarma therapy.
- Basic treatment entails a gentle massage over the muscles of the neck and shoulder joints with mahanarayan taila. This may be done 2–3 times a day.
- Several stress-relieving exercises such as intensive muscle training, yoga, pranayama may be carried out on a regular basis.
Therapies included in ayurvedic treatment for neck pain may be carried out in the form of:
- Shiro dhara (pouring a stream of medicated oil and buttermilk on the forehead while gently massaging the head).
- Shiro vasti (bathing the head with medicated oils by way of a cap-like apparatus).
- Nasyam (administration of medicated oil through the nose that cleanses the accumulated kapha toxins from the head and the neck area).
- Abhyangam (a whole body massage with herbal oils for harmonising the body, mind, soul and the senses).
- Nadi swedam (medicated steam bath), elakhizi (massaging with herbal leaf bundles).
- Shastika sali pinda swedam/navarakizhi (a highly effective rejuvenation technique that uses a special kind of rice that is cooked, ties into bolusesm, and dipped into a herbal decoction and warm milk, later skilfully massaged all over the body).
- Greeva vasthi (neck massage to decrease the cervical spinal compression).
Apart from therapies, ayurvedic treatment for neck pain also includes medicines ranging from thailams, churnams, asavams, ghrithams, lehyams prepared from ayurvedic herbs such as rasna, dasamoola, aswadandha. Sometimes, vata hara, brumhana oushada vihara are also prescribed to the patients.
Read more articles on Ayurveda
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.