Are you Living in a Sexless Marriage?

Apr 27, 2013

Quick Bites:

Are you Living in a Sexless Marriage

Lack of sex in marital relationships is one of the commonest issues faced by individuals nowadays. How can one figure out the amount of sex required in a married life so that the relationship is not ascribed as sexless marriage? Despite being such an integral part of a marital relationship, individuals feel embarrassed to ask or admit their sexual concerns in married life.

In a recent survey by India Today, it was found out that only 20 percent of married couples in India had sex for more than once in a week. Major portion of the rest 80 percent couples are either sex-deprived or living in sexless marriage. The proportion of satisfied couples was 37 percent in 2004, which has been dipping lower over last few years. The survey has exposed the present condition of marital relationships in India.

Reasons of Sexless Marriage

Modern Indian marriages have become identical to traditional marital relationships that were largely affected by work, kids and family problems. Detailed below are the factors that lead to sexual dissatisfaction in married life.


  1. Marriage: Marriage brings several changes and transitions in most relationships. Over the years, several studies have blamed marriage for poor sex life. There is a significant drop in couples wanting to have sex more often after getting married.
  2. Affluence: The affluence of big city lifestyles has also impacted sexual lives of married couples. Some of the couples don’t fit in each other’s schedule due to work-time differences, while others don’t consider sex as the crucial factor to strengthen bond between them. Owing to this fact, small cities or towns have marched far ahead in sexual satisfaction level.
  3. Kids: Raising kids is another factor to affect sex in marital relationships. Having kids means less attention to spouse, limited time for each other. Living with kids annexe privacy and consume chances of a romantic weekend vacation.
  4. Fantasies: Marriage is also responsible for eliminating excitement from the relationship. After marriage, one gets what was once desired. Therefore, excitement drops and fantasies fade away.
  5. Lack of Understanding: Lack of understanding also slams martial relationship. Difference in sexual needs will grow in the case you don’t discuss it with the spouse. In this manner, differing sex drives in the marriage is another factor leading to sex deprivation.


Read more articles on Marriage and Sex