Arachnophobia: Learn About Its Meaning, Symptoms And Methods Of Prevention.
Arachnophobia: Every human has a phobia or fear of something. Some are afraid of water, and some are afraid of heights. There can be many types of dread, and one such phobia is Arachnophobia, i.e. fear of spiders. For some people, fear of spiders can interfere with their quality of life and cause them to have anxiety attacks. Arachnophobia is a severe condition which can affect a person on a deeper level. Fear of spiders may also develop due to an event in childhood or adolescence. Any trauma begins to create deep roots and eventually becomes a memorable process. Sometimes the fear of being around spiders can also cause arachnophobia. But how serious is it, and why are we so afraid of spiders? Let us tell you the answers to all these things.
Causes of Arachnophobia
Scientists say fear of spiders may have something to do with evolutionary theory. Since old times, spiders were considered as a source of contamination of food and water and were therefore considered as disgusting diseases that spread to people. Spiders have initially been believed to be the reason behind the bubonic plague, which was later rejected. Because the rat-flea was then discovered as its main culprit, this false fear has been going on for many generations and has permeated our minds.
- Treatment for Arachnophobia: If symptoms of Arachnophobia persist for more than six months, it starts interfering with the quality of life of the person. In such a situation, they need to consult a doctor immediately. If you want, you can also consult a psychiatrist.
- Systematic desensitization: The most reliable and popular form of therapy is system desensitization. The victim is made to confront and strategically confront his fear of spiders. The relaxing techniques offered in this therapy include breathing control, muscle control, and meditation. The primary objective of this therapy is to reduce fear by reducing risk in a controlled and relaxed environment until the person is finally confronted with their concerns.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT): Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is the usual typical therapy when it comes to managing this phobia. So the doctor gives this therapy to the sufferer with the dread, this therapy helps in pointing out the root cause of arachnophobia. CBT helps prevent negative thoughts with more positive and tolerable thoughts.
- Medicine: In some cases, physicians recommend therapy as well as medications. Anti-depression and anti-anxiety pills are prescribed to patients with the most extreme symptoms.
Symptoms of Arachnophobia
A person who is afraid of spiders does not necessarily have phobias. Arachnophobia is a severe condition where symptoms appear gradually in the victim. Some of its symptoms are as follows:
- Shivering or sweating
- Rapid heart rate
- Hot or cold flash
- Gastrointestinal problem
- Pain in chest
- The more you think about spiders, the more likely this fear is.
- You can overcome the fear of spiders because most spiders are not harmful to humans. Because they are usually similar to insects and other insect-like organisms.
- So to remove doubt, try to face it with courage.
- In some cases, spider bites may cause allergic reactions. Although black and brown spiders are venomous, their bit can be dangerous.
- Try to avoid the spiders from going into the affected areas. Do not let mounds cover your house and garage.
- Try to get out of your phobia and work with understanding and patience.
Read More in Mind and Body
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.