5 Things You Need to Know About Cancer Patients
Aug 31, 2012
Cancer patients are classified on the basis of type of cancer as well as its stage. The general health of the patient is taken into consideration before any treatment is carried out on him. If the caregivers of cancer patients are made aware of some important facts and issues about their patients, it would help them manage their condition better. There are some things you need to know about cancer patients as a must to be able to treat their condition. [Read: What is the Best Treatment for Cancer?]
- Type and stage of cancer – Be aware of the type of cancer the patient is suffering from and its stage. Do some research on the particular type of cancer and learn about the survival rates of the stage in which the patient finds himself. [Read: What are the Stages of Cancer?]
- Reactions to treatment vary – The curing impact and side effects of cancer patients vary depending on types of drugs used and their sensitivity to a patient. Certain drugs attack cells that reproduce rapidly and they are useful for treating the cancerous cells in the higher stages, i.e. from 3 onwards. Thus, it is important that just the right treatment is prescribed for the patient to maximise the benefits of treatment.
- Evaluation of side effects – All cancer treatments involve some sort of damage to the healthy cells. This leads to various side effects. In the treatment plan prepared by doctors treating the condition of a cancer patient, the near and dear ones should ask for the risk of side effects. Out of the various alternatives of treatment available, the one which causes least side effects and lead to recuperation as early as possible should be chosen. [Read: Manage the Side Effects of Cancer Treatment]
- Watch out for depression in cancer patients – You should always be particular about the mood swings of cancer patients as the person does not have much to allow for happiness. Along with the physical symptoms, the mood or the optimism that the patient has for the treatment of cancer disease plays an important part in ensuring good results from any treatment. As they endure the lengthy course of treatment, unsure about whether a surgery would become necessary or not, they can slip into gloom very quickly. So, you need to be vigilant about symptoms of depression in cancer patients to ensure positive impact on their recovery.
- Important to give him company and listen to him – You need to understand the psyche of cancer patients when dealing with them. They are tired of listening to positive affirmations from people and feel like sharing their fears and doubts with someone. You need to be considerate of this need of the patient and hear him out without complain. When you try to soothe him, show things can turn out positive based on how he feels. [Read: Cancer Patients: Find meaning in Life]
These things to know about cancer patients are very important for caregivers to understand. It can help them manage their patient much better.
Read more articles on Cancer