Neonatal Care Dos and Donts
May 23, 2011
Neonatal Care Do's
- Kangaroo care you baby for the first seven to ten days.
- Breastfeed your baby after birth. There is no limit of the amount and time of breastfeeding.
- Calm your baby when he/she cries. Don’t leave them unattended.
- While holding a newborn, support baby’s head and neck because infant’s neck muscles are not strong.
- Swaddle your baby as it g helps keep them warm and gives a sense of security.
- Wash baby’s clothes separately.
- Burping your baby as it is a very important aspect of digestion.
Neonatal Care Dont's
- Don’t allow sick people to touch your baby as they are likely to catch the infection.
- Don’t heat baby’s bottles in a microwave.
- Don’t expect your baby to sleep like you do. Baby’s sleep pattern is than yours. Most new borns sleep for 15-16 hours.
- Don’t leave your baby alone. Always make your presence felt.
Read more articles on Newborn Care