Antioxidants help to rev up your immunity and decrease your chances of falling prey to diseases. Those who exercise regularly also need to take supplements of antioxidants as exercise generates more free radicals.
- The primary way to intake antioxidants should be to eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and also take supplements containing vitamin A, C, E and selenium.
- Choose fresh fruits over canned juices.
- Avoid boiling or overcooking your vegetables. You must steam, stir-fry, lightly cook or eat them raw.
- Consume Omega – 3 fats as they reduce the damage caused by pollutants. Source of Omega – 3 fats are alsi seeds, fish, soybeans, pumpkinseeds and almonds.
- Avoid cooking in oils that go rancid easily such as PUFA based oils derived from sunflower seeds, safflower seeds, cottonseed, and corn
- Olive oil is richest in MUFA and doesn’t go rancid easily, hence is best to have. Other MUFA based oils are those derived from mustard seeds, til seeds, and groundnut.
Today’s modern, toxic world creates the need for supplementation. Without optimum food intake combined with in-appropriate vitamin supplements we cannot expect to live a healthy life. The key to keeping fit in today’s world is to back up your body’s own defense system by taking your vitamin supplements.
Image source: Getty