Do-it-yourself tips to cure back pain
Jan 10, 2017
- Use ice as a pain reliever on the affected area.
- Available only on prescription, a cream that contains capsaicin can be used to help reduce back pain.
- Certain types of massages may also help.
Won’t it be great if you could cure the back pain that is breaking you? How comfortable it would be to not go for check-ups, taking medicines and going through surgeries! Keeping this in mind, we have brought to you some tips that you can follow to cure your back.
[Read: Back Pain Relief Exercises]
Ice and heat treatment
- Use ice as a pain reliever on the affected area. It works to temporarily block the pain signals and reduce swelling. Wrap some ice cubes in a towel and dab it on the affected area several times a day with each session lasting 20 minutes.
- After 48 hours of practicing this, you must switch to moist heat that will help to stimulate blood flow and reduce painful spasms. Take a towel and dip it in warm water and wring it out. Lie on a flat surface face down and ask someone to place the towel on the painful area. Leave the towel on for 20 minutes and repeat the process at least four times a day.
Rub a relief
- Available only on prescription, a cream that contains capsaicin can be used to help reduce back pain. Capsaicin is a heat producing substance found in hot chili pepper. When applied to the skin, it depletes nerve endings of a neurochemical called substance P. It has been found that substance P is essential for transmitting pain sensations to the brain and with reduction in substance P’s circulation, the pain reduces.
- Certain types of massages may also help. Stuff tennis balls in a long sock and tie the end of it and then, ask someone to roll it up and down your back. This will bring great relief.
- An enzyme known as bromelain that is derived from pineapples helps to promote blood circulation and reduces swelling in the affected area. Take up to 500mg of this three times a day on an empty stomach.
- Generally, sedatives are not really recommended; however, you could try taking valerian, which is much milder than any pharmaceutical product. By taking one 250mg of valerian four times a day, you could sedate the receptors in the brain.
[Read: Ayurvedic Treatment for Back Pain]
The important thing to remember is that before you take matters in your own hands, visit a doctor and figure out if your back pain is common or if there is a greater risk attached to it.
Image source : Getty
Read more articles on Back Pain Treatment