Things that make you gain belly fat
Jul 07, 2017
- Lack of physical activity leads to weight gain.
- A lethargic life makes abdominal weight gain inevitable.
- Medications to treat stress, BP and mood disorders may lead to it.
Rapid abdominal weight gain can be an indication of a serious underlying health concern. Abdominal fat has been linked to metabolic disturbances, increased risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
Understanding the various causes of rapid weight gain in the abdominal region can be helpful for you to monitor your increasing weight.
- Sedentary lifestyle remains one of the main reasons of rapid abdominal weight gain.
- Regular intake of surplus calories without physical activity leads to rapid accumulation of fat around the abdomen, especially in adults.
- Lack of regular exercise leads to weight gain, which in turn results in cardiovascular ailments such as heart attack and lifestyle problems such as diabetes and obesity.
- If you are leading a lethargic and sluggish life, rapid abdominal weight gain is almost inevitable.
- To keep your waistline slim and in shape, eat healthy, exercise regularly and indulge in yoga to relax and rejuvenate.
- Compulsive overeating is a disorder in which an individual engages in binge eating.
A person with this disorder keeps on eating even after being comfortably full. A compulsive eater eats even when he is not hungry. He/she spends excessive amount of time thinking about food and secretly plans or fantasises eating alone.
Usually, people with feelings of guilt and depression get involved in binge eating.
With compulsive eating, weight gain, obesity and heart problems are inevitable.
- Amidst the hustle and bustle of modern life, stress has become a common issue. Stress also plays a significant role in adding flab to your abdominal region.
- Due to stress your body produces excess amount of cortisol (a steroid hormone). This hormone acts as an internal fight-or-flight response mechanism; prolonged presence of cortisol in bloodstream is toxic for your body. According to an article by Harvard Medical School, elevated level of cortisol causes fat accumulation.
- To prevent cortisol from shooting up, it is necessary to keep a check on stressful conditions such as long working hours, irregular sleep patterns, professional and personal obligations and financial worries.
- If you feel stressed, get it treated or you may experience sudden and unexplained weight gain.
Medications to treat stress, depression, mood disorders, seizures, migraines, high blood pressure and diabetes may also cause rapid abdominal weight gain. The most common types of medications that may cause weight gain are:
- anti-seizure medications
- diabetes medications
- high blood pressure medications and
- heartburn medications.
Weight gain from medications may vary from four pounds to ten pounds a month.