Best exercises to gain weight
Aug 18, 2017
- Flat bench press and Inclined bench press with bar help build the chest.
- Upright barbell rows and dumbell shoulder press work best for shoulders.
- Hammer curls for forearms and biceps help build arms.
Apart from taking to a healthy diet with the resolve to eat more calories than spending, you must include some exercises in your weight gain programme to build muscles.
Having muscles would ensure that whatever you eat gets converted is absorbed into the body. Both these aspects of a weight gain regimen are inseparable.
Weight gain exercises for different body parts
- Flat bench press with bar.
- Inclined bench press with bar.
- Flat bench press with dumbbells.
- Inclined bench press with dumbbells.
- One arm row with the dumbbell.
- Lower back extension.
- Pull-ups (Chin-ups).
- Bent over back rows.
- Upright barbell rows.
- Dumbell Shoulder Press.
- Military Press.
- Overhead Squat
- Standing cable curls.
- Hammer curls for forearms and biceps.
- Standing alternate dumbbell curls.
- Standing straight bar curls.
- Leg raises.
- Stability ball crunches.
- Lying crunches.
- Cable crunches.
- Inclined bench crunches.
Important exercise tips
- Keep the workouts short but intense, i.e. under an hour.
- If you want to gain bulk, look to free weight exercises that strain your large muscles. Some examples are deadlifts, squats, pull ups bar dips and bench presses.
- Your repetitions should be low and weights should be heavy. Taking 3 minutes of rest between sets is enough.
- Do not perform more than two or three exercises per body part.
- Generally, people with very high metabolism have low weight. They should train with more intensity but be less frequent in their workouts. Work out three days a week only but different body parts for each of the days, i.e. chest shoulders and biceps on one day, back and biceps on the other, and legs and abs on the third day.
To get the best out of these exercises, make sure that you train with the ideal number of repetitions and sets in every workout. Moreover, make sure that you are not overtraining as that tends to defeat the purpose of gaining weight. As already mentioned, working out three days a week is an ideal schedule for gaining weight. It is essential for you to include exercises in your weight gain programme as merely having healthy foods and increased calorie is not conducive to healthy weight gain.