Ayurvedic treatment of dark circles mainly focuses on the diet aspect of treatment as well as the direct application of ayurvedic medications on the skin.
The skin under the eyes is very sensitive - thin and sparsely dotted with oil glands, unlike the skin on the rest of the body. Due to various reasons, this skin becomes very thin and dry, leading to the visible appearance of veins. This makes skin appear very dark. Ayurvedic treatment for dark circles mainly looks at two aspects. Since the appearance of dark circles is caused due to the accumulation of toxins in the body, body detoxification and skin rejuvenation are the two steps that the ayurvedic mode of treatment follows.
- Two cotton balls soaked in grated cucumber juice (since cucumber is considered a cooling agent), when placed on the eyes, gives relief to the tiredness of the eyes. While this is considered as one of the best remedies for under eye dark circles, the same may also be done using grated potato juice. Another alternative here is to place cotton balls, dipped in chilled water or rose water, on the eyes.
- Massaging your eyes with almond oil proves to be of great help.
- Ayurvedic medication prescribes applying a paste of tomato puree, lemon juice, orange lentil flour and turmeric powder (only if you are not allergic to it) on the dark circle area. Wash it off after 15 minutes.
- Diet should consist of cow’s milk, goat’s milk, yoghurt, butter and fenugreek and fish oil.
- One must drink plenty of water.
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables, specially the ones rich in fibre. Avoiding excess of sweets and chocolates also helps.
- Avoid stress, tension, anxiety by practicing asanas such as pranayama.
- Give your eyes enough rest. Sleep for at least six to eight hours a day.
- While working under strenuous conditions take a break and cover your eyes with your palms for about 10 minutes and relax.
- Pressing the mount below the index finger is also helpful to remove dark circles around the eyes.
Read more articles on Ayurvedic Treatment